In the days of state-subsidised everything, Nelson had no railway, so the privileges that applied to places served by this service were extended to the regions, notionally.
Freight and passenger charges on service to Blenheim were subbsidised n 1957 to make them like the cheaper rail services available elsewhere. Nelson in fact had a rail for years, but it went nowhere. An intended connection with the West Coast was abandoned in the 1930s Great Depression short of the upper Buller River.
A link to Marlborough, reached by the South Island Main Trunk as late as 1945, was never begun. The possibility of dispatching goods by rail effectively stalled at Glenhope (1912-1954), though tunnels and tracks ran beyond the Kawatiri Junction (Hope Junction) at the gate the Nelson Lakes and Upper Buller in the 1930s. The Nelson railways functioned on a local delivery service, through the orchards, hop farms and tobacco fields of the Waimea Plains and Valley. When authorities ruled that the line be taken up in 1954, local folk sat on it, in one of the first New Zealand examples of a full-scale community protest against central decision-making.